SUMMER OPERA, ART SONG, & RECORDING SEMINAR
A two-week intensive vocal training program and recording seminar that offers an exciting opportunity for serious singers to receive operatic and stage training in standard operatic and art song repertoire culminating in opera scene performances, art song/aria recital, and a various feature concerts.
Located in this beautiful lakeside setting, this two-week intensive focuses on all the tools needed for the advanced student to gain stage experience and better understand the recording process, both in hopes of gaining a foothold in a competitive field. Led by respected industry professionals, the session will concentrate on preparation of pre-assigned scenes geared specifically towards those students accepted into the program. In addition, students will benefit from weekly voice lessons, private coachings, workshops on recording, and an audition techniques seminar. Participants are free to enjoy Bay View Festival concerts as well as all of the outdoor recreation options that northern Michigan offers. Arrivals on June 9, begins June 10.
A tailor-made program with repertoire designed for each singer's needs after filling just 12 spots!
- All repertoire selected based on you as the participants
- Two private 1-hour vocal lessons (BV Voice Faculty)
- Private coachings with Dr. Casey Robards (Central Michigan University) and Mariah Boucher (Indiana University)
- Staging rehearsals with Sarah Stone (Stage Director- SOARS) and Nick Gisonde (Fight Choreographer, Broadway, and Regional Musical Theatre Actor)
- Participation in master classes, stage combat workshop, and acting seminar
- Audition seminar with individual critique and feedback of each participants’ promotional materials with Risa Renae Harman (Soprano, BV Voice Faculty)
- Single performance of art song repertoire of student’s choosing
- Multiple performances of opera scenes with repertoire tailored to singers' needs
- Opportunity to record demo tracks (will take home one mastered CD & mastered mp3 files)
- Pre-recording workshop/discussion with recording engineers about the process of recording from their perspective, limitations and advantages, etc.
- Opportunity for income from church job singing (Up to $150)
- Participation in Bay View Festival Choir as section leader (Dr. Chris Ludwa, Conductor)
- The best part of SOARS for me was the friends I made when I was there and the coachings I got. Everyone was so nice and welcoming no matter their background or where they came from. I still talk to almost everyone that was a part of SOARS. The coachings I received were also very memorable, everyone was incredibly knowledgeable and wanted you to learn. I picked up so many tips in my coachings in just two weeks. I feel much more confident about auditioning now and making sure I have all of the correct audition materials. SOARS reenforced great technique while having fun and enjoying the music. (Andrea Bickford)
- Bay View was the first summer program I ever took part in. It was the perfect first program, but it can benefit singers of all ages. The opportunity to work on art song and still do a little opera with the scenes program is an ideal combination for singers who need to garner more performance experience and expand their repertoire. Not only that, Bay View left me with friendships I know I will keep for life. The welcoming and homey environment left me thinking about Bay View long after I left. Oh, and the sunsets are incredible! (Alexandra Nowakowski)
- During my time at the SOARS Program, I learned a lot about myself personally and musically. Immediately following the SOARS Program, I had the opportunity to travel to New York City and participate in a musical theater workshop and work with Broadway professionals in a master class during my week program there. I just recently finished working at Walt Disney World, on an entertainment internship for 9 months which was an amazing opportunity. (Ernest Pittman)
to or click to apply.